Thursday, May 03, 2007

Freedom Writers (2007)

'Freedom Writers' is centered around Anne Frank's Diary. The movie re-presents life events that took place just years ago (the book was actually published in 1999). It is not a very good movie and it made me think how odd it is to depict reality in film. On the other hand I have to admit I fought back some tears. By the 'tears' standard the movie gets closer to Hotel Rwanda but it is sloppier and I found the acting less convincing. But...the defects and the problems make the film more convincing at the level where I know real life constitutes bad acting. I am not sure I want to watch it again. I may focus too much on the aesthetic problems and the tension between the technique and plot may just increase. In any case it was a good experience to watch it. PS: If you are willing to see it online let me know. PPS: the photo is the cover of the published book and not taken from the movie.

No comments: