Thursday, May 31, 2007

Blood Diamond (2006)

People say 'Blood diamond' is a good movie and DiCaprio is a great actor. That may be true for them but I beg to disagree: I do not know who to blame for the movie so I will pick on just a few things like lDiCaprio. The movie is supposed to be close to others like Hotel Rwanda, Munich etc. capturing supposedly a tragic story of Sierra Leone. I usually get all emotional in front of such things even when badly made but this time all the questions I had in the first place about this type of theme gave me an unpleasant visceral reaction. Why are we making entertainment out of such things? It is almost as if the movie presents an extended version of the five o'clock violent news bulleting. It achieves exactly the same: we say 'poor people' and think 'why is this news?'. After all there is no news that people die and that we can be incredible cruel to each other. I have no idea what I am talking about but I see what we do without being in a war, even to people we call friends. I would like to see totally insane scenarios where diamonds do not matter to anyone and where people live in pace and harmony. That would be some news and I would run up to the first person on the street and I would slap them hard in the face just to see how they turn the other cheek and hug me in tears. I will then go off to make trouble to the establishment by hiding the salt at the table, the paper from the toilets and inject silicon in random faces to confuse the hell out of interpersonal communication. Until these fun times I will be doubtful of movies eliciting cheap emotional flow. DiCaprio. I do not know what I miss in this guy. Wait. I know. I do not 'believe' his manliness. It might be his voice but I really do not really believe he smokes. He is just ridiculous when he does the rough killer as kindergarten children planing a terrorist attack on some cherry tree in the neighborhood. His death manages to light a generous smirk if not a honest grin. He boldly claims without any relevant context 'I like to get kissed before I get fucked'. Does it ring any (better sounding) bell? I mean... Sonny (Al Pacino 1975) and Danny Archer (DiCaprio 2006) have exactly this line in common and there is nothing but a glaring confirmation of the two movies and actors' quality. I will add (to be fair) that DiCaprio did a good job in Catch Me If You Can (2002) and very good as Rimbaud in Total Eclipse (1995). Another ludicrous part: Amsterdam Vallon in Gangs of New York (2002). Is there a pattern? Take a look at the picture – is he to be taken seriously? I would not watch Blood Diamond again even if Djimon Hounsou makes a nice Solomon Vandy and even if I like Jennifer Connelly. As a girl. Which makes me think there is more potential in her that I could see so far.

3 comments:

Dorel Mihaila said...

In the words of one of The Kings of Comedy..."long ass dry movie"...
Trying to tell the tragedy of Africa with a poor story, and very poorly constructed characters. And more...the same "old" Hollywood characters: the victim, the journalist , the bad guy that turns good...etc. etc. etc.
There is no structural difference between this film and say...any other... :D
Like always...when Hollywood tries to seem profound it fails !

Anonymous said...

And boy, one more thing. Be cool. All the others on this blog are writing from their hearts. They have their mistakes, but they are sincere, and hey, who's perfect?

You on the other hand, are working with the mind and your life experience and understanding of art are not high enough for this quest you have taken. Relax. Take some chocholates. Start with the movies that do relate with you. And it will come to you too.

On the technical side (and yes, there are other aspects that would improve if you just lose your attitude and try to acknoledge your value) quit spamming the blog with tags. Just because you were good enough to search the imdb this doesn't mean you have to put the whole cast just to show you are special. In this case, this note has, among others a refference to Al Pacino. On the blog are two refferences to him, both belong to you and neither note has any relevance to the actor. In itself, this is a gift to the reader as it means you are sparing the poor man with half baked oppinions like in the case of Robert deNiro. Yet, try to follow the good example of the fellow bloggers.

Lucian said...

@ion ion
Hey man - you got it all wrong (and you didn't leave any means to contact so I hope you are checking for an answer here).
My 'fellow bloggers' are my good friends, i.e. we all know each other and like each other. That means that even if I sound pretentious they know what I mean. You are right about some things but that gets swamped in the general aggressive tone. I actually appreciate you taking your time and doing this - we all like movies, so I am up for talking when it comes to them - but do spare me the aggressiveness. Zoomshot is for friends (even future friends).
I am going to delete this comment (and yours) in a week or so. About the other two which are a mix of violence and interesting thoughts about movies - I have no idea - I'll think about it, maybe you can rewrite them - put the personal commentaries in a mail to me.