Friday, May 11, 2007

Agnes und seine Bruder (2004)

The christian-romantic ideal of a relationship always starts with (and in) purity and compatibility and it romantically follows with 'And they lived happily ever after.' 'Agnes and her brothers' supports an different view: the relationship is more of a process that indeed purifies the individuals. The partners clearly do not 'live happily ever after' but work hard for every second of being happy and pure. They are more on the way to happiness (auf dem Weg ins Glück). Agnes (interpreted with great sensitivity by Martin Weiß) is in a post-relationship phase on several levels, Herbert Knaup in the rough middle of one and Moritz Bleibtreu at the door of another. All of them go through difficult times and I have to say I could not choose who has the hardest moments. Now, if I put the three brothers together I'll find a very dark image of relationship and life. The film is great and it makes me want to talk to someone about it so if you want to see it or manage to watch this Oskar Roehler' work, let me know.

No comments: