Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Blueberry Nights (2007)

Eventually we went to the movies! My Blueberry Nights it was. Personally, I adore blueberries and I would never leave a blueberry pie untouched if Jude Law's café happened to be in my neighbourhood. Typically for Kai War Wong movies (Ulli says - I haven't seen it but "In the mood for love" is very nice she says), the images are strong. He plays a lot with colours the scenes are bathed in and he's not shy to make it fully orange or blue, with mirrors and café windows through which you watch everyday phrases gain deeper meaning, and his style is very slow. I liked for instance how the whole first part is set only in the café where Elizabeth (Norah Jones) tells Jude Law about her unfaithful boyfriend. We never get to see the boyfriend except once when she watches him through a window. There's a cheesy bit about keys that people left at his café and never pick up, and the love-on-first-sight way Norah Jones and Jude Law get in touch ("I need to talk to some one. Can I come in?") is also a bit unusual for a regular NYC café I'd say. But then it gives a nice frame for the road trip she's taking and she can write him postcards from everywhere ("I always had the feeling I could tell you everything"). - There's a strange contrast between the slowness of the images and numerous observation scenes, and the fact that there is No development of the relationship whatsoever. Really - if the love on first sight thing didn't work, it'd be pretty tough for them to get together. Norah Jones as an actress.. hm. It always seems she is watching very attentively something on the far horizon. But the song in which she sings "I don't know how to tell the story, it's all been told before" at the beginning and end of the movie is nice.

No comments: