Friday, March 02, 2007

The Bridge of San Luis Rey (2004)

This movie is Mary McGuckian's adaptation of Thornton Wilder's novel ( I noticed I have so if you want to read it...). Cast includes impressive names: F. Murray Abraham, Kathy Bates, Gabriel Byrne, Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel. This time the names do not help: the movie is not a thrilling experience, I would argue also because of the great actors. The movie gave me the impression that it could be good but I find this version wrongly paced and the acting out of rhythm. The 2004 version is the last one with the first made in 1929. I would be curious to see the other versions as the story has static...dynamism hard to find around these days and full of unexplored resources. 'The Bridge of San Luis Rey' won the Goya award in 2005 for the Best Costum Design.

No comments: