Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wer früher stirbt, ist länger tot

I laughed my head off in this movie, my goodness, I laughed so hard tears ran down my face.

I remembered Tanja telling me I had to watch it - had to had to - so I quickly picked it up in the video library, least my chinese pan-fried vegetable-noodles would get cold, from indecision. Then I rushed home, declined dinner with my flatmate and hopped up the ladder into my bed. The noodles were still sort of warm, and a lot, since I chose the big meal for 3,50 rather than the small one for 2,50. What a price, thought I when buying it, but it was really a lot. But back to the movie.
So there's a small boy, elevenish, who thinks he killed his mum. Because she died when he was born. He has very red nightmares of purgatory where a jury condemns him for his sins. Maybe because next to his bedroom, the town's theatre group is rehearsing and he hears their voices through the wall. He also hears them chat about how his dad is lacking female company. So the boy decides to put things right. First he tries for his friend's mom. She is a bit stern, though, and his dad doesn't like her much. Nonetheless, the boy lures her into coming to his dad's house with a freshly baked strawberry cake. Unfortunately, dad is naked at that point in time, putting up the laundry. Too awkquard to dress before she enters the room, he hides under the tables. Under the tables there is already hiding the boy's teacher. She wanted a teacher-parent talk and hid from embarassment when dad entered the room naked. Now they are both hiding from Mrs Strawberry Cake. Dad doesn't see the teacher at first. When he does, he is so surprised he crawls out under the table and finds himself with his nose in Mrs Strawberry Cake's skirts. It's hilarious. He is understandably quite embarrassed, declines cake and coffee and makes her go.
The boy's second try is this particular teacher. This time his method is magical evocation. And - good luck! - in the precise moment of the candle-lit evocation his dad and teacher lean towards each other over the consultation desk at school and burst into an impassionate kiss. That's great, of course, but what's with the teacher's husband? Does the boy have to kill him in order to give way to happiness? The purgatory jury advises it, to lessen his sins. But fortunately, it's the other way around. When he reaches the husband's studio high on the mountain, it's just in time to save the guy from hanging himself. Unfortunately, the boy himself drinks the husband's poisoned water. He swoons instantaneously. There's a lot of white and he meets his mother,S shining, swimming underwater.
When he wakes up the theatre group is standing around his bed, repeating their performance for him.

No comments: