Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Let the Right One In / L

Let the Right One In / Lat den rätte komma in
 
First I have to say: I like vampire-movies. I´ve seen a lot of them. So when this one started (as usual in the Sneak:) I was surprised. In the beginning it´s not clear what all this is about. We get to know Oscar first, he lives alone with his mother somewhere in Sweden. Oscar is twelve years old, an outsider at school and he gets bullied by his classmate Conny and his friends. But Oscar can´t defend himself.  One night he meets Eli in the garden, she and a man (whose relationship to her is not clear, is he her father? Anyway he kills people for Eli, let them bleed out and takes the blood for her to drink it) just moved inside the house, they are neighbours now. Eli is twelve, already for a long time, and she makes clear that she and Oscar could never become friends, but slowly they develope a fragile sympathy to each other. She pukes from sweets, can´t stand the sunlight and people vanish that she had killed before. Once she asks Oscar: Would you still like me even if I was not a girl? And Oscar says yes. He finds out that Eli is a vampire, she shows him how to defend himself and my God, he is really the calmness in person, he doesn´t care that she even once kills a man right in front of him. Quite fearless. I have to say, this movie needs to get used to. It´s a swedish one and that´s probably the reason for many weird scenes, one thing I like particularly about scandinavian films. It´s very calm, very slow, too slow for my taste. The soundtrack is nice, the actors are great and Eli is sometimes a girl but sometimes she is a completely different creature. And I must say, it wasn´t very thrilling. But a very different kind of horror-vampire mixture.

 

No comments: