Saturday, October 14, 2006

Zelig (1983) --Woody Allen

Mmhm, I'm sure you've seen this movie because it's so cool. I did yesterday in the process of watching myself through what Luci left on the hard drive.
I found it hilarious how the movie plays with one's expextations of and reverence for the serious ambiance of "real documents" (it pretends to be a documentary but isn't - it tricked me for quite a while!:) and of interviews with the affected people grown old, and saying in all earnest the most outrageous things (earnest because it's a documentary, of course). And I still catch myself thinking "wow, so even in the twentys they had this amusement-vocab? well That says something about America!" Somehow everything (the winner-tone of the narrator, the scenes themselves) has lots of self-irony this way.
But at the same time, it has this whole Baudolino-athmosphere of how you can make believe anything, as long as You are serious about it...

3 comments:

Lucian said...

I loved it too.
Take a look at the 1999 'Sweet and Lowdown' for sort of the same kind of refined humor and the very special taste all Woody Allen movies have.

Lucian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adina said...

It's strange, I saw it in spring, but I can't remember how it ended. Mostly because of my bad memory, but also because of that never-ending feeling it gives off (the documentary form was so unexpected for me, that it completely destroyed the emphasis that I usually put on the narrative.)
I was wondering whether all good movies don't allow for their story to be 'retold'...