Thursday, April 19, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

The movie is about how hard is to get there even when 'there' is nowhere important. I would probably like the movie if it would be less pretentious: there are times when the cheesiest things happen and I am just not there. I know that in 'real life' cheesy things happen all the time and I am fine with that. But this is a movie and I want them to acknowledge that and cover the very obvious morals. I am not the kind of public that appreciates it. Otherwise the movie is almost nice, a normal life type of surreal suffuses the events in spite of the happy end. I would be curious what other people feel/think about it. It won two Oscars one of which for the screenplay - was Babel or El laberinto del fauno or The queen worse than this one? I am not sure. All I can say is that the movie appeals to imdbs.

1 comment:

sofiya said...

First, I certainly wouldn't call the end of the movie "happy" unconditionally (you must have guessed this movie appealed to me as well). Also I certainly think that this movie is much more poignant and honest than Babel, that is pretentiously tapping into mainstream ideas of globalization, multiculturalism, misunderstanding.
Cheese moments? I'm not sure what you refer to. I think any potentially cheese moment is superseded by a sarcastic reaction of the next scene. Family managing to hang together - is that cheese and moralistic? Well, it happens only for a short while, and also each member of the family is in it for a different reason.