Monday, September 18, 2006

Hotel Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda (2004) Directed by Terry George
I must say i wasn`t very impressed.
I guess I expected more than just a story from rwanda`s violent history.
It probably has a strong impact on people who don`t really know what happened there but it was not the case with me.
And the story itself, touching as it may be, sounds too much like schindler`s list.
So what I`m saying is that it didn`t make too much sense to me as a film.
I liked more Fernando Meirelles film, Constant Gardener.

1 comment:

Lucian said...

Well...It's hard in general to make movies like this. I think it always raises questions like why would you have such a thing when it is not a straight documentary. Am I supposed to cry my eyes out, to feel with the people? How can I make the distinction between the movie and what happened or what I feel for what happened? What would a good movie of this sort be, what would it show, how would I feel?
I don't know if I liked the movie or not. I could not make the distinction between the movie and the events. One of the scenes that impressed me deeply was the one in which the 'Europeans' leave by bus. First a mass of people both 'Europeans/whites' and non-European are jammed in the Hotel' frontyard and then they are selected to go on the bus: 'Europeans/whites'-in, the others -out. It seems that the passport/skin colour principle overrides every other criteria.
I watched this scene over and over again and I feel this is indeed how we are treating 'the others'. And it made me cry. Which is probably as pathetic as making a movie about such a catastrophe but I would still watch it. Just like with Schindler's List that I found particularly pathethic and ridiculous in a context in which everybody praised the movie but I never regreted watching it.